Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Tech Tip - Paperless Reading Logs!

Today I'm linking up for...

I love to read. I love to teach reading. I hate reading logs... with a passion.
To me there is nothing more tedious than correcting reading logs each week. Making sure that students are reading their required amount of minutes/pages, checking to see if parents signed off, and chasing down logs from those students who never hand them in...

Well your days of agonizing over reading logs are over! Say "hello" to Reading-Rewards.com!
I have been using Reading-Rewards on and off for 4 years (off because they changed the design of their website and I really didn't like it, but that was over a year ago and their site is much better now!). I've used it with 5th grade, 2nd grade, and now with 4th grade. It is really easy to use and keeps students engaged in their reading homework.

Here's how it works:

1) Go to Reading-Rewards.com and sign up for an administrator account. It's FREE (there is a paid yearly subscription for $70 that gives you a few extra perks like more student accounts and the option to give student feedback and quizzes)

2) From your home page, click on "Manage Your Groups" and then click on "Create New Group"

3) Once you've created your group, you can start to add students. Click on "Manage Your Accounts" to get started. I prefer to add student accounts myself. It only takes a few minutes and this way I know their accounts are set up correctly.

4) Click on "Create Reader Account"

And you're now ready to begin paperless reading logs! Reading-Rewards has a great teacher help page {HERE} with videos, getting started guides, and tutorials. Below is a demo video of the teacher(administrator) interface from their site:


I LOVE using Reading-Rewards with my students. In your group "Reading Circle" students can see what everyone in the class is reading. Students can write comments and reviews about their books. They also earn points for every minute they read. Students can cash these points in for classroom rewards that you create! For example one of the rewards in my store right now is a personal hat day for 200 RR miles (points).

Click {HERE} to download a copy of a parent handout I created to send home and get students started.

Thanks for stopping by, and don't forget to visit Techie Turtle Teacher for more Tech Tips!

2 comments:

  1. This looks great! Do you get a high percentage of participation? Based on experience, I'd probably get about 12%. Maybe things will improve in the future.
    Deb
    Not very fancy in 1st

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a really neat site! Thanks for linking up!

    Cheryl
    Techie Turtle Teacher

    ReplyDelete